Resigning is more than just a simple I quit. There are still a few key parts you have to follow:
- Timing: Make sure to give your boss or manager enough notice. It’s traditionally 2 weeks, but consult your boss in case he or she wants or expects more time.
- Negotiating: Ensure that you talk to your boss about getting a fair return on any outstanding salary or any other compensation that is owed to you.
- Hiring: You may want to offer to help your boss with the training of other employees.
- Working: Make sure that you do your best to actually come to work as you did in the past. Even though you are leaving, you should do as if you were not.
- Completing: Ensure you complete any assignments or tasks that you have to fill. Leave a detailed report of progress for your coworkers and supervisor.
- Leaving: Before you walk out of that door make sure you have all of the contact information you need or want. Remember to again thank them before you leave.
- On another note, some industries will require you to leave on the spot. Be prepared for this.
- Don’t feel guilty, your coworkers and even your boss may make you feel a little guilty for leaving the team, don’t let this get to you.
Here are a few ways to resign from your company with dignity. Some samples are posted below. You will see underlined parts, this is where you need to fill in the appropriate information. You will notice a similarity about the resignation letters, they keep it short and simple. You may be perplexed, and you may think that they need more. Yet they do not. Lavish details will not help you and in fact, they may hurt you. This may seem odd, as you may think your boss will want more information. Yet he should not need any more, you should have talked to him, this is just the formal paper that completes the task of resigning from a place of employment. It’s actually so much better this way, for it will take out much of the stress of writing the resignation letter, as you will not worry so much about finding the perfect words.
Resignation Letter Examples
Dear X manager/ boss
Please accept this letter of resignation to be effective at a date to be mutually determined, but no later than xxxx date that you need to be out by.
I am resigning my position because I have decided to pursue xxxx career. This resignation is the proper thing for me to do. I have benefited greatly from my stay here and I appreciate how you always held yourself in a professional manner.
Dear name of your manager or boss
Please accept this letter as a resignation of my position at _______ company, business, etc., effective date of resignation. I am offering a two week notice – this will give you the opportunity to find a suitable replacement.
My decision to resign was finalized after long and careful consideration of all factors. It has been a pleasure working as a part of your team and I wish nothing but success for ________ company.
Dear name of your manager or boss
This is to advise you of my intention to step down from my position as ________ current employer title on _______(date). This will give you two weeks to make any necessary adjustments for my leave.
I greatly appreciate the opportunity and privilege I have enjoyed. I am grateful for your support.
Looking for more examples of resignation letters, well look no further. Here are some more examples. It’s a rather simple process!
Dear Name of employer/ manager/ boss
Please accept this letter as a notification that I am resigning from my position as ________ position. I would like my resignation to be effective as soon as possible, I will however be happy to be of assistance during the transition
Thank you for the opportunities for professional and personal development that you and the team have provided me during the last year.
Dear Name of employer/manager/boss
It is with regret that I ask you to accept my letter of resignation as of today, _______ (date you are writing the letter). With a ten working day notice, my last day will be _________ (date).
It has been a pleasure working with and for the _________ (company or place of employment). I have developed many relationships that I value and have learned a great deal. Best of luck to you.
The resignation letter samples above can be used as a template if you want to resign from any job.